Siegfried Goeschl wrote:

Oops,

considering dynamic class loading and reflection it is actually impossible ...

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

I can second that--but I can go one further.

Due to the type of design and true separation of implementation/interface with
Avalon style components, each component appears to be completely separate.  So,
while we might be able to tell if an interface method is called, it will almost
always be by something that no tool can directly trace.

The only way to tell in systems like that is to perform a certain type of
profiling.  There are three types of profiling, and most people are only
familiar with performance profiling.  The other types are memory profiling
and coverage profiling.

Profiling requires that the application be run through a JVM with profiling
extensions added, and output the results of the run to some output file (unless
you have a commercial tool that give you a GUI at runtime).  The normal
extensions included with the sun JVM will allow you to examine the garbage
collection and performance aspects, but memory fails me if it can do coverage
testing.

Adding an extension requires some C/C++ development, which is platform
dependant.  However, you will even be able to test for orphan private methods.