As an addendum:

I've looked at how to best integrate Maven with the Gentoo Linux packaging
system, and come to the conclusion that at this point, it is easiest to
circumvent it completely.

Our current prototype approach is patching the build.xml most maven-based
project supply to not fetch missing packages, and have the ebuild
(Gentoo-specific build script for a given package) manually symlink (or
otherwise resolve) the jar files for these external packages into the
appropriate lib/ dir before starting building.

However, I must readily confess that I have not put the time into
investigating writing a different package-resolution plugin for Maven (if
that's possible).

At any rate, as the basic premise for Gentoo is to compile everything from
source code at installation, to enable/disable optional features and allow
installation-time patching by the user, we will never avail ourselves of
the pre-built maven repository (on ibiblio), since packages there do not
come with sources (which I find a bit strange; all other relevant
binary-distro systems I've seen, have source packages too).

So in summary, Maven is unsuitable for Gentoo, because
1) It downloads packages on its own accord at build time, circumventing
   our packaging system.
2) The packages in the Maven repository are missing sources (and
   build.xml-files).

The good thing about maven-enabled projects is that it is easy to figure
out their external dependencies, which eases the job of packaging projects
tremendously.

Kind regards,

Karl T