> There may one day be a bridge to adapt Maven's repository to native
> systems for things like distributions but when a project
> creates a Maven
> POM they expect it to work for people developing on all
> platforms. They
> aren't concerned about platform specifics and this has never
> really been
> the concern of Maven insofar as development goes.

I don't have much experience with native liblaries but I think that at least
maven should be able to help people who are using liblaries like SWT
(there is quite a lot of them).

In maven-artifact I solved this problem by introducing special artifact
type: "native"

With possiblity of defining "repository layout" per both artifact type and
platform in place type "native"
can be mapped to following layouts:

native=${groupId}/native/linux/${artifactId}-${version}.so

or

native=${groupId}/native/windows/${artifactId}-${version}.dll

Michal