Why would you like to ever recompile java sources when you have jars?
I always that "the latest proven trend"  is to distribute appliction as byte
code and to let VM do optimisation.
At least this is what Microsoft is doing with .NET and soon (in few years)
most of the application for MS Windows
will be run using CLR VM. IMHO this is a way to go and what Gentoo Linux
does is simply for
people who like to have a hobby and have a lot of time for it.

Some people are still believing that compilation to native code can increase
the performance.
This is simply not true.

Some of the reasons are nicely explained here:
http://www.idiom.com/~zilla/Computer/javaCbenchmark.html

If you want to "recompile" for other reason - to improve start-up time of
JVM please note that:

a) start-up of JVM time it's getting better and better and with shared
instnace of JVM it will be also improved
b) more and more of the modern applications ( e.g eclipse, idea, maven) are
distributed as small kernels which are loading plugins.
  And AIIK the compilation to native code can't help much in such cases.

Michal