> central it just too useful... it has gathered critical mass whereby it is
> nearly a right of passage for new java projects to get hosted on central...
> hosting on central becomes one of those things projects are asked to do...
> if we move the goalposts too far or too fast we will kill the critical mass
> we have now, and the whole thing will end up a dead duck

bingo. We are doing this now by requiring valid signatures for
anything that comes via oss.sonatype.org or anything i personally
approve when i manually process either an upload or a sync request. If
it's no good, it don't enable it. We want to automate this so the
standard applies regardless of who processes the request...and
eventually automate the processing as well.

>> If Sonatype's goal is to sell these tools only for paying customers I
>> don't have a bad feeling about that.
>
> I don't get that impression
Also correct. We want to fix the core data in central for everyone,
but as I've said before: "fix" means improve the quality of incoming
data, it does not mean go back and rewrite old poms etc because this
just screws up existing builds.