I think we all need some clarification, since we all talk about "quality"
(we all agreed upon the basic things unanimously).
What is the "quality" of a maven repository (in general)? Can we measure it?
Can we define it?

A wiki page with piled up (even personal) opinions would be good -- whatever
they are -- and later we should cherry-pick the most relevant ones to build
some tooling to build these metric. And then, we could "measure" the quality
of different reposes (like central) and have a list of reposes that do meet
certain "level of quality" and list publicly the others that does not.

We could ask repo maintainers -- just like we did with Nexus indexes --
simply to publish these "meta information" (metrics) information in their
reposes, and repo consumers could decide: "do I want or not a repo of 3.14
MRQ* to participate in my build or not".

Of course, persons or organizations would be able to raise MRQ just by
letting it thru (and "fixing"/improving) the repo in question over some
tools (MRMs are at once the 1st thing becoming obvious choice).

*MRQ = Maven Repo Quality index, for example a scalar number with range 0-10
(if the "quality" is representable as such)

Thanks,
~t~

PS: I am really interested, if once done, what score would central get ;)