Yes it would hurt.

A build then becomes dependent on the certlist in order for it to function.

In such a way, a cert list becomes directly equivalent to a <repository>
definition in a pom.xml file.

We do not allow <repository> definitions in pom files for a good reason.

certlists is just another name for the same thing.

By all means I see repository managers being able to use certlists... but
these would be applied at the repository manager level and not at the
"settings.xml" or at the "pom.xml" level.

If you need a specific certlist in order to build correctly, then I do not
think we should allow your new artifacts into central... and now certlists
are a dead duck

Just my opinion,

Stephen