Actually no, AFAIK use http direct, so it's not the WebDAV client at all.

Your client would be better served using a Maven Repository Manager than a
website backed by an SFTP share.

Drink the Kool-aid, I recommend Nexus, easy to set up and the staging
support in the professional edition is cool... add in that they can then use
it to proxy the public repos and save bandwidth and it's almost a
no-brainer...

but by all means if you can fix SFTP support that would also be cool