From: Ron Wheeler [mailto:rwhee...@artifact-software.com]
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2010 5:12 PM
To: users@maven.apache.org
Subject: Re: Deploy with SFTP tries to cd to parent too many times

  On 06/09/2010 2:19 PM, Trevor Harmon wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2010, at 6:48 AM, Ron Wheeler wrote:
>
>> Get Nexus up and running and start to enjoy using Maven.
> I'm sensing a theme here. Anybody reminded of that old joke? "Doctor, it
> hurts when I move my arm like this." Doctor: "Then don't move your arm like
> that."
>
>> It is free. It is easy to install and configure.
>> We are a small team of 3 but it was well worth the time to get it up and
>> running.
> That you are a small team of 3 is very likely the reason why you found it
> easy to install and configure. I'm assuming one of you 3 set up the server
> yourself, correct? And had root access to it?
Correct
>   You probably didn't have to expose Nexus outside the firewall, either.

No. We are a distributed operation.
> These are all advantages I'm lacking. I'm working remotely as an external
> contractor and have no control over the company's servers. And it doesn't
> help that I'm the only person using Maven in an all-Microsoft shop.
Probably more trouble than its worth. Stick with Ant or use the
Microsoft tools
> They'd have to integrate the Nexus server's user account management with
> Microsoft Active Directory. (Is that even possible?) And they'd also have to
> configure their firewall just for me so that I may access Nexus from the
> outside.
They should know how to do this. I am not sure why you would bother with
Active Directory for 1 person. Just use Nexus' authentication.

>   This is a company with thousands of employees and a full-time IT security
> engineer; punching holes in their walls is not something they take lightly.
> In short, installing Nexus is by no means easy.
>
> But the company already happens to have a web server with SFTP access outside
> the firewall. They've given me an account on it. I'm simply trying to
> piggyback on this as a repository and use SFTP for deployment, since SFTP is
> a "supported" deployment method.
So they do know how to expose services safely within their environment.