On 14 October 2010 22:56, Kenneth McDonald
<kenneth.m.mcdon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>> Hi Wayne, I'll post one more response to your well-thought-out question.
>>>
>>> Here is the pom file I'm currently using:
>>>
>>> and just so you don't have to scroll all the way to the bottom to see the
>>> comments, I'll put them here :-)
>>>
>>> - Is there _anything_ in the structure of this file which leads me to an
>>> "aha, I understand what the major
>>> and minor parts of the file are all about" moment?
>>>
>>> - Does the file get across what it means both concisely and clearly?
>>>
>>> - Is the syntax of the file for the convenience of the programmer, or the
>>> convenience of the tools
>>> that process it?
>>>
>>> - Could someone well-versed in programming, but without an understanding of
>>> maven, make at
>>> least some sense of this file?
>>>
>>> IMHO, the answers are no, no, for the convenience of the tools, and no. In
>>> terms of readability,
>>> this file (and all pom files I've seen) are simply disasters. In terms of
>>> semantics--OK, pretty good.
>>> In terms of usability, what a piece of garbage!
>>
>> But why would you ever see this?
>> Doesn't your IDE support Maven?
>
> I use IntelliJ IDEA, one of the better thought of IDEs. Regardless, it makes
> me look at the pom as xml. But
> even that begs the question.

IntelliJ kicks ass

>> There is no reason why any of my guys would ever look at this as XML.
>> We use Eclipse/STS as an IDE and this simple POM would never require anyone
>> to do anything in XML.
>>
>> Hand editing POMs is not a reasonable thing to do in 2010  unless you are
>> debugging Maven and want to break a POM to see what Maven does.
>>
> I agree. Hand editing POMs is not reasonable because POMs are not amenable to
> hand editing. That's a problem
> of the POM format, not of the concept of hand editing.

I routinely edit my pom's by hand using vi, I do not feel any major
pain so doing, and I have some rather complex pom's at that... I have
one pom that starts two jetty, selenium, a derby database, some other
odds and sods and runs integration tests with failsafe... ok ok ok so
i'm a pmc, but still it's no big deal working with the pom as is