On Oct 14, 2010, at 6:30 PM, Kenneth McDonald wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2010, at 5:09 PM, Frederic Camblor wrote:
>
>> Hi Kenneth !
>>
>> Drawback of using a Python/YAML like solution is code completion.
>>
> But the payoff is you don't need code completion! You just put in a )/}/] or
> so, and your code is completed! Any yes, any competent text editor can check
> for braces mismatches etc.
>
> I recognize the concern, I just don't see it as valid. I've been programming
> in Python for twenty years now. I won't say it's always the case, but in a
> large number of cases, the terseness you gain in your code more than offsets
> things like code completion, static analysis, etc.
>
> And yes, I specifically intend this to apply to XML. I can't see how moving
> to a YAML model would be anything but a win for maven.

http://github.com/sonatype/polyglot-maven/blob/master/pmaven-yaml/src/test/resources/pom.config.yml

Already works with Maven's current core. Along with Scala, Clojure, and Ruby.

A fact to note though is that I've asked over 2k people over the last two years
at talks and in any average crowd the people who care to have a different
format or DSL is around 3%.

At any rate anything is possible with Maven 3.

> Just to let you know I'm not firmly entrenched in one camp, the static
> analysis that Scala supplies seems to me to overcome the inherit "benefits"
> of dynamic analysis.
>
> Ken

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.