Hi Phillip,

Does it make sense and will it work to define the scm connection in a
parent pom if all my projects follow the same layout in SVN?

i.e.,
<connection>scm:svn:http://mysvnrep.com/svn/projects/${artifactId}/trunk</connection>

in theory, the above makes sense, but in practice you will encounter a problem: if scm/connection is inherited by a child POM, Maven automatically appends the equivalent of "/${project.artifactId}" to your SCM URL.

Thus, you end up with "scm:svn:http://mysvnrep.com/svn/projects/${artifactId}/trunk/${project.artifactId}";, which is in all likelihood not what you intended. (You are aiming for a flat repository layout here, which parent and child on the same level, right?)

Unfortunately, Maven is extremely prejudiced in favour of a hierarchical layout. But if there are any good workarounds other than copy-and-pasting scm/connection in all the child POMs I would love to hear about them.

I hope this helps.

Andreas