On 20 October 2010 16:36, Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Stephen Connolly
> <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> (snip)
>> I have a bash script to update the details on a branch, etc... I am
>> looking into the possibility of adding this into the maven-scm-plugin,
>> e.g. "mvn scm:infer -Dprovider=svn" of course given that this would
>> involve rewriting the pom.xml I'll have to decide how to handle
>
> Yeah, I really like the idea of having an scm:infer.  You definitely
> got my vote!
>
> But if it can be inferred while the plugin is running, why exactly
> does it need to get written back into the pom?  Of course, I don't

You did see the -Dprovider=svn

There are N providers not all of them can be inferred... what do we do
if somebody has a svn workspace in a git workspace with .gitignore's
containing .svn and svn:ignore on the root folder containing .git?
That would allow both scm's to function at the same time without being
aware of each other... which should maven choose?

Oh and this git/svn workspace could also be an accurev workspace (no
control files needed to be ignored there) and why not add CVS into the
mix?

> mind it being written into the pom on a tag, and in the pom that goes
> to the repo, but in the trunk and branches the whole idea is to not
> have it present in there so it is always inferred.

but you are going to have to specify at least the provider... so at
least more than nothing will have to go in there... plus when that
-SNAPSHOT gets deployed wouldn't it be nice to know from which branch
it was deployed? oh look the pom has the scm details of the branch it
came from... cool! that was joe's branch which explains why I'm fecked