On Nov 10, 2010, at 4:06 PM, Yanko, Curtis wrote:

> I have used the technique described here but I have also had too to
> forensic type package level comparisons to try an find matches.
> Eventually slugging our way through namespace collisions and knocking
> down issues one Classpath Not Found at a time.

The directory entries in a Zip archive are not compressed.  This makes class
names searchable with 'grep -R' on the local repository.  If you download and
compile a lot of OSS projects that use Maven, chances are your repository has
most of the dependencies you would normally want to use already in it.

Alternately, to speed inquiries on jar contents, I use
http://mvnrepository.com.  Once one drills down to the page for a specific
version of a dependency, the package structure of the contents is displayed.
It's a lot easier than constantly doing 'jar tvf <filename>' to see what's in
there, and there's a bunch of additional information about the dependency on
that page too.  It only works for jars in the central repo though, and sadly,
there are a few things that could be made a lot nicer, but the authors have a
full email box and apparently do not want to be bothered.