Just for curiosity: what happens if You configure the 'prepare-war' execution of Your test configuration for the 'process-resources' phase? As Your custom plugin goal and the 'war:exploded' goal are both configured for the same phase, are You sure that they're really executed in the estimated order?

Regarding Your command line statement: I'd not rely my build on additional goals that have to be added to the command line statement. It's predestined to cause problems, because other project members might forget to add that argument. I'd always tend to configure it using a plugin execution.