On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Heck, Gus (Patrick)
<gus.h...@aspentech.com> wrote:
> Hmm, how would I go about convincing maven-plugins such as clean to only
> use the latest versions (in some cases it just seems to be a dep on the
> pom file, not any actual jars). Don't know where I would find the handle
> for this in maven, unless one does it by editing the poms that are
> wandering off into past versions I suppose.

No, don't mess with the released poms for the plugins.  Ron was
talking about controlling what dependencies are used in your own
projects.

There are two separate things here:
 - the plugins and other libraries Maven uses to build your code
 - the actual artifacts the build produces that contain your compiled
code, config files, etc.

Are you really that concerned about how many parent poms Maven needs
to download to do its job?  For Maven plugins with an internal
(disconnected) repository, you will go mad trying to
download-and-upload each thing individually.  There will be hundreds
of Maven/Plexus/Commons/Etc jars to find.  Just let Maven gather it
all up, give it a once over, and put it in your repo.

Or is the real issue that you want to make sure you know exactly what
your code depends on and what you are putting in production or
delivering to customers?  In my experience, that's the bigger issue.

--
Wendy