Some plugins already provide the following 2 properties

* skip
* forceMojoExecution

The idea is that those plugins must not get executed when the project is of
type 'pom'. But since most of this plugins in bigger projects get defined in a
'backend-parent' module (or kind of) which is the parent of all backend
modules, it's pretty hard otherwise.

Example being the sql-maven-plugin [1], the openjpa-maven-plugin, etc

We have been discussing about generalizing this approach, but we would need a
bit brainstorming still as there are mojos which explicitely gets executed on
the parent pom (also).

Generalized I'd say there are 3 types of plugins:

a.) sql-maven-plugin like only need to get executed in projects with packaging
!= pom
b.) aggregator mojos (like javadoc-aggregated) which run _only_ on the parent
pom
c.) mojos which need to get executed in every project (like the site-plugin)

LieGrue,
strub

[1] http://mojo.codehaus.org/sql-maven-plugin/execute-mojo.html