> Thank you Wayne for this excellent Analysis. If a routine belonging to the
> file system returns something badly,
> there is a little chance to influence by a logical JAVA$FILENAME_CONTROL
> which can be set to so many values
> used to control filename encodings, particular how to deal with dot's in file
> names.

I found some related comments that may be helpful to you... All this
talk of OpenVMS brings me back to days at Uni on VAX/VMS boxen. ;-)

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Languages-and-Scripting/Lucene-Solr-and-filepaths/td-p/4601881
and
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:Lucene-search/archive/2010#Lucene-search_on_OpenVMS

It seems you will need to use some configuration along these lines:
$ set proc/parse=extended
$ @SYS$COMMON:[JAVA$150.COM]JAVA$150_SETUP.COM
$ define DECC$ARGV_PARSE_STYLE ENABLE
$ define DECC$EFS_CASE_PRESERVE ENABLE
$ define DECC$POSIX_SEEK_STREAM_FILE ENABLE
$ define DECC$EFS_CHARSET ENABLE
$ define DECC$ENABLE_GETENV_CACHE ENABLE
$ define DECC$FILE_PERMISSION_UNIX ENABLE
$ define DECC$FIXED_LENGTH_SEEK_TO_EOF ENABLE
$ define DECC$RENAME_NO_INHERIT ENABLE
$ define DECC$ENABLE_TO_VMS_LOGNAME_CACHE ENABLE
$ FILE_MASK = %x00000008 + %x00040000
$ DEFINE JAVA$FILENAME_CONTROLS 'file_mask'

Wayne