Could you have a non-OpenVMS machine running behind your firewall to host Nexus?

All you really want to use nexus as is a service to front the proxy
servers that you are working with.

It seems like overkill to port your entire toolchain to running on
OpenVMS just because you need to build some things on OpneVMS...

take the things which are pure services (e.g. nexus) and run them on
systems where they are supported but within your firewall

-Stephen