Hi Wayne
my comment ++> below

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Wayne Fay [mailto:wayne...@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. Oktober 2011 19:36
An: Maven Users List
Betreff: Re: Problems with MAVEN's-ANT on OpenVMS

> Question: Given mavens settings.xml has the proxy info's does maven tell ant
> about this proxy information? If yes, where in code and how?

I don't know. I would expect the answer is in the maven-antrun-plugin
source code, and having just glanced at it now, I don't see any
specific location where such proxy information is handed off to Ant
(but it may be happening despite not seeing it obviously stated via
system properties or something):
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/plugins/tags/maven-antrun-plugin-1.6/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/antrun/AntRunMojo.java?view=markup

If you determine that proxy information is not being passed to Ant,
and you patch this code to pass proxy info to Ant, please contribute
it back via JIRA for the benefit of other users.
++> will do so

I should also mention the setproxy Ant task which may be an easier
route to a solution for you:
http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/setproxy.html
++> this works but needs to be added to pom's with an ant section and
build.xml's. And it works!
So we just look for a more central not project dependent solution

> Question: how does maven get best informed about the preferred authentication
> schemas to be used by the proxy server
> i.e. -Dhttp.auth.preference=Basic as described by the ORACLE documentation
> for JAVA and at many other places.

There appears to be an open JIRA related to this specifically:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3049
++> OK - still unclear for me if this is a application, like ant or maven
issue, or a JAVA/JDK/JVM problem; hence not clear, hence not fixed.

> Question: If ant is first and picks up proxy info and works would you expect
> for maven that ant tells maven about proxy info to be used?

I don't understand this question. Can you please try again, and
perhaps explain things more?
++> sometimes inside an ant target maven gets called by a <mvn . . .
task/macro ;
in this context, ANT already knows about the proxy info. But how is this
information passed to maven now?
If maven retrieves proxy setting from MAVEN_OPTS environment variable under any
circumstances, then fine, if not, how is this passed to maven from a ant
section in a pom? So the question may be allowed: does maven pick-up MAVEN_OPTS
proxy information when called from within a ANT task?

> BTW: I took the latest sources of nexus down to my Vista PC. Tried to build
> it as I do with maven and axis2 and it failed!

Why do you insist on building everything from sources?
++> because on OpenVMS sometimes one can just not refer to documents which are
written for windows and Linux users.
++> because debugging and walking through code even at maven or ant or axis2
has brought many insight into what is not documented. i.e. the axis2
time-out-constant for a servicegroupId was just not seconds as said in a
axis2.xml and documented but milliseconds, and since we know this from
debugging the rest was a sniff.

The rest of us
use the binaries directly with no complaints. As Stephen already
stated, you should just pull down the Nexus binary and run it on
Windows, then point your OpenVMS Maven at it.
++> that has been done meanwhile;
++> further to that, there was a maven team established at our company some two
years ago, but long time, we could not use Sonatype Nexus as a proxy or
repository as it was just not working well enough. Meanwhile it works and I
have tried again and changed only the m2.url in a ANT library.properties files
and had a great better experience. This has fix my proxy issues; but there are
others out in the crowd depending on proxy setups working well. Also if Ant
with the <get needs to access any other files outside a nice nexus proxy
server, it still needs a working proxy infrastructure.

> BTW: Then I took the latest binary version of a nexus-webapp.war down to my
> OpenVMS,  I untared it on OpenVMS as we do with Axis2 or maven.
> It fails during startup on Tomcat and Java 6.0.  Many things get up as one
> can see in tomcat logs attached as text file; but it fails.

I am not surprised that Nexus fails to load on OpenVMS. I bet you are
the first person (in the world, perhaps) to attempt such a thing. Feel
free to communicate that log to Sonatype directly and they may be able
to work with you to fix their code so it runs properly -- the Maven
Users list is not the right place for such complaints/discussion.
++> Sorry and I agree 100% (was just an example)

I did look at the log and it has a NFE for input string "1." which
seems to be the root problem:
Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "1."
        at
java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
        at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java:419)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.generationFromSegmentsFileName(SegmentInfos.java:199)

Wayne
++> Josef - and thank you very much Wayne