> Question: Given mavens settings.xml has the proxy info's does maven tell ant
> about this proxy information? If yes, where in code and how?

I don't know. I would expect the answer is in the maven-antrun-plugin
source code, and having just glanced at it now, I don't see any
specific location where such proxy information is handed off to Ant
(but it may be happening despite not seeing it obviously stated via
system properties or something):
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/plugins/tags/maven-antrun-plugin-1.6/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/antrun/AntRunMojo.java?view=markup

If you determine that proxy information is not being passed to Ant,
and you patch this code to pass proxy info to Ant, please contribute
it back via JIRA for the benefit of other users.

I should also mention the setproxy Ant task which may be an easier
route to a solution for you:
http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/setproxy.html

> Question: how does maven get best informed about the preferred authentication
> schemas to be used by the proxy server
> i.e. -Dhttp.auth.preference=Basic as described by the ORACLE documentation
> for JAVA and at many other places.

There appears to be an open JIRA related to this specifically:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3049

> Question: If ant is first and picks up and works would you expect for maven
> that ant tells maven about proxy info to be used?

I don't understand this question. Can you please try again, and
perhaps explain things more?

> BTW: I took the latest sources of nexus down to my Vista PC. Tried to build
> it as I do with maven and axis2 and it failed!

Why do you insist on building everything from sources? The rest of us
use the binaries directly with no complaints. As Stephen already
stated, you should just pull down the Nexus binary and run it on
Windows, then point your OpenVMS Maven at it.

> BTW: Then I took the latest binary version of a nexus-webapp.war down to my
> OpenVMS,  I untared it on OpenVMS as we do with Axis2 or maven.
> It fails during startup on Tomcat and Java 6.0.  Many things get up as one
> can see in tomcat logs attached as text file; but it fails.

I am not surprised that Nexus fails to load on OpenVMS. I bet you are
the first person (in the world, perhaps) to attempt such a thing. Feel
free to communicate that log to Sonatype directly and they may be able
to work with you to fix their code so it runs properly -- the Maven
Users list is not the right place for such complaints/discussion.

I did look at the log and it has a NFE for input string "1." which
seems to be the root problem:
Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "1."
        at
java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
        at java.lang.Long.parseLong(Long.java:419)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.generationFromSegmentsFileName(SegmentInfos.java:199)

Wayne