Good read.

Documentation can be much better, but I suppose it is up to us as community
members to make that happen. Maven isn't owned by anyone.  The guys at Sonatype
have done a good job of posting various blogs.  If anyone has the time and
desire I am sure she/he could pull many of these various tid bits of good
practices into one coherent doc.

I think it says something that it has not been done yet.  While everyone says
it would be great to have, clearly no one has felt strongly enough about it
(yet) to make it happen.  It is more of a very nice to have than a hard and
fast requirement.