> You are not alone in that.  Especially since the most valuable single bit of
> advice one can give a new Maven user is:  "if you don't do things Maven's
> way, Maven will fight you and Maven will win."
>
> People extol the virtues of "convention over configuration", but where is the
> compact definitive specification of The Conventions?

Interestingly, I just wrote a detailed blog entry about the irony of a CoC tool
with a body of documentation that documents the configuration rather than the
conventions.  It's kind of darkly humorous if you think about it.  The
configuration is the way to get in trouble with maven, but it's the only thing
documented.

In case you're interested:

http://zeroinsertionforce.blogspot.com/2012/04/maven-does-not-suck-but-maven-docs-do.html