How do you write documentation for something that you have never used and have no idea what the options are?

I have worked on documentation for some projects but I can only go so far without the active involvement of the author. The biggest thing that I can bring is my ignorance which makes me read what is there and ask good questions about WTF does it mean and what needs to be said so that someone who did not write it can use it.
It does require access to someone who can answer those questions.

Ron