Answers inline:

On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 4:16 PM Greg Chabala <greg.chab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have *war that I've built on 3 different Macs (maven-war-plugin 3.3.2).
> >

> Is there a reason you're rebuilding your WAR three times on different Macs?

One Mac Mini is my home machine, the other is the office machine. I'm
60%/40% home or office, and I try to keep them in sync as much as possible
(excluding personal files). The laptop (a personal machine) I take with me
for the times I'm called to check on something while out-of-town.

> > The code is pulled from my local git repo, and the supporting jars are
> from
> > a local Nexus repository.
>
> Are they all building from the same git branch/ref? Everything is pulled
> current?

Yes.

> The missing JAR is in each local repository. I do not see this JAR when I
> > run `mvn dependency:tree`, though I see a different (newer) version as
> > "provided."
>
> Provided means you are in charge of supplying the JAR, not Maven. Typically
> this means you expect the JAR will already be available at runtime, e.g. in
> your application server's provided JARs, so there's no point in bundling it
> into your WAR. Are you certain this is not just a case of having different
> application server versions installed, or someone manually updated the
> provided JARs on one of them?

Currently I'm using Tomcat 9.0.70 on each Mac. They are set up the same way.

> The missing JAR doesn't seem to matter when the webapp runs (no
> > problems found so far). Any idea as to why, and
>
> > what I can (or should?) do for a consistent build?
>
>  Make sure you're not using version ranges, and that all versions are
> specified. For more tips, see:
> https://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-reproducible-builds.html
>
> This is all hypothetical, you didn't show/reference a concrete example pom
> we could look at.

Thanks. I'll look into the reproducible builds guide.

Marlowe, *Doctor Faustus* (v. 111-13)