jk jk wrote:

> After working with Maven goals on Eclipse as opposed
> to command prompt, I find it faster to use the command
> prompt then executing maven goals in eclipse.  The
> only thing with this approach is that you would always
> need a command prompt while you're developing rather
> just dealing with your IDE.  Do most use the command
> prompt to execute maven goals?

I do. Initially i used mevenide but at the time (10 months ago) it was
too buggy so i switched to command line maven. Execution is fast when
you use the maven console, and it preserves command history accross
runs. This enables me to execute build targets with a mouse click and 2
keystrokes , fast enough for me ;)

> When developing and then testing the web app, I find
> it easy to use myeclipse to allow me to automatically
> deploy my web app in exploded archive in Tomcat.  But
> once you adhere to Maven's recommended directory
> structure, it doesnt work with Myeclipse.  So I've
> resorted to using the Tomcat plugin for Maven (using
> the maven tomcat:install or tomcat:reload goals).  But
> even then, it sometimes doesnt work.  Does anyone have
> the same issue?

I haven't use MyEclipse, here is my approach for web development.

- make sure the project directory structure has a webapp directory in it
(eg main/src/webapp/WEB-INF/)
- declare all dependencies with the war.bundle property set to true ie
     <properties>
         <war.bundle>true</war.bundle>
     </properties>
- run war:inplace, this copies all dependencies to WEB-INF/lib and
copies all classes to WEB-INF/classes.
- mount the main/src/webapp/ directory in jetty
  <Call name="addWebApplication">
    <Arg>/mywebapp</Arg>
    <Arg>/path/to/main/src/webapp</Arg>
  </Call>

(- as an additional bonus you can run the eclipse target to keep your
eclipse classpath in sync with the project definition)

I'ld be interested to hear how other people use maven and eclipse together.

Regards
Jorg