My working network has no connection to internet (no way).
I download and copied the part of www.ibiblio.org/maven2 that seemed to me necessary to launch the first command of the Quick Start (mvn archetype:create), let's say under file:/mypath/ibiblio/maven2. I tried several things, one by one, or combined. I always failed and got the same message (the plugin org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin does not exist or no valid version could be found). My big problem is that maven never says to me what's the real problem ! Whatever the way, always the same message. No way to know if my mirror or my repository is ignored, or is taken into account but not correct, or else.
Here are the things I tried :

* a mirror defined in my settings.xml :
<mirror>
        <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>
        <name>mirror1</name>
        <url>file:/mypath/ibiblio/maven2</url>
        <id>mirror1</id>
</mirror>

* a profile/repository defined in my settings.xml :
<profiles>
        <profile>
                <repositories>
                        <repository>
                                <id>repo1</id>
                                <name>repo1</name>
                                <url>file:/mypath/ibiblio/maven2</url>
                        </repository>
                </repositories>
                <pluginRepositories>
                        <pluginRepository>
                                <id>repo2</id>
                                <name>repo2</name>
                                <url>file:/mypath/ibiblio/maven2</url>
                        </pluginRepository>
                </pluginRepositories>
                <id>MyProfile</id>
        </profile>
        <activeProfiles>
                <activeProfile>MyProfile</activeProfile>
        </activeProfiles>
(and trying with or without -PMyProfile in the command line)

* <offline>true</offline> in my settings.xml

* -DremoteRepositories=file:/mypath/ibiblio/maven2 on the command line

In fact, I think I will be obliged to use maven 1 again if nobody can help me :-(