Currently there's :
      - maven-archetype-j2ee-simple
      - maven-archetype-portlet
      - maven-archetype-simple
      - maven-archetype-site-simple
      - maven-archetype-webapp
      - maven-archetype-marmalade-mojo
      - maven-archetype-quickstart

  Sorry, I'm not sure if there's a guide for each. running mvn site:site
on archetypes only generates the basic reports..no guides.

  command for generating projects using archetype :

  mvn archetype:create -DgroupId=<group> -DartifactId=<artifact name>
-DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.maven.archetype
                                      -DarchetypeArtifactId=<archetype
name> -DarchetypeVersion=<version>

  ex.
       mvn archetype:create -DartifactId=test -DgroupId=org.test
-DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-webapp

-DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.maven.archetypes
-DarchetypeVersion=1.0-alpha-4

 try checking http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/archetypes
for the latest version of the archetypes
 and if you feel  the  urge to write a guide on how to use them, the
Maven community will greatly appreciate it. =)

cheers,
pete marvin