Is there a way to have archetypes act cumulatively?  It seems to me that it
would make sense that you would be able to run an archetype command multiple
times in a directory and still end up with only one pom and set of
directories.  That way, what Wendy suggests below would work.  If you have
Struts elements, you run the Struts archetype.  Then, if you have Hibernate
or Spring, you can run that afterwards and still keep them in the same
project.

Am I misunderstanding the whole idea of an archetype when I think like this?

Thanks,
Mike

On 6/25/06, Wendy Smoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 6/24/06, siegfried <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was specifically hoping to find an EJB, SWT, Swing and a boatload of
web
> archetypes like tapestry, spring and other MVCs.

IMO the projects themselves should provide the archetypes.  This
proves to be more difficult than it sounds... for Struts I didn't go
beyond turning the "Struts Blank" webapp into an archetype, because
after that, how should I know whether you want Hibernate, iBatis,
Spring, etc?  At that point, it's not an archetype, it's AppFuse.

The next challenge is building a multi-module archetype.  The current
best practices say to put your integration tests in a separate module,
but Archetype seems to only want to do one module at a time.  Either
you have to type 'mvn archetype:create' several times, or you stuff it
all under archetype-resources and lose the ability to specify the
package name.

I know Apache MyFaces has a couple of archetypes available, one for a
webapp, and the other for a JSF component library.  I think that's how
it will continue, once projects convert to Maven 2 (it's inevitable,
right?) they will provide their own archetypes.

--
Wendy