From: Jan Vissers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:07 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: [POLL] Why switch to Maven?

I'm reading a lot of "we need about x weeks to convert to maven", "the
learning curve is steep", "it is messy but it works", "if it cannot be
done we can use ant"...

More and more I'm getting the feeling that ANT still isn't such a bad
idea for building software. You can do a lot of the convention over
configuration stuff for your own projects with ant and things like
macrodef, subant and antlib. For dependency management we're currently
using Ivy - which is pretty descent. What's more the reporting just
works, even aggregated
(pmd,jdepend,junit,checkstyle,cobertura,javadoc,changelog,javacnss).

Can somebody tell me what the main reason would be for changing from ANT

to Maven?
I'm starting to get serious doubts.

Eric Redmond wrote:
> Hi all Maven users!
>
> I'm beginning a study to outline the real reasons that people have for

> avoiding Maven. My questions to you all are: What were your anxieties
> about using Maven? If you use Maven: what helped you make the
> decision? If you don't: why did you avoid it?
>
> Here are some that I have heard in the past:
>
> * Lack of good documentation.
> * Community unwilling to help me with my problems.
> * Not "industry supported" or "mainstream" enough.
> * I don't like conforming to the Maven project layout.
> * My project is too complex to switch.
> * There are not enough plugins available.
> * We already have a large investement in tool X.
> * I have to build native/non-Java code.
>
> Any more reasons? Care to expand these ideas?
> Thanks for your help!
> ____
> Eric Redmond
> http://codehaus.org/~eredmond

- - - - - - - DISCLAIMER- - - - - - - -
Unless indicated otherwise, the information contained in this message is
privileged and confidential, and is intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named above and others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and/or
attachments is strictly prohibited. The company accepts no liability for any
damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Furthermore, the
company does not warrant a proper and complete transmission of this
information, nor does it accept liability for any delays. If you have
received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the
message. Thank you.