+1 this is a fantastic idea..

would it take the form of an elaboration on the mvn site plugin?

I propose that, at the lowest level, a test asserting that javadoc
containing more than the default @author and @return tags in the javadoc for
methods that arent property accessor/mutators would ensure most code is
documented. then, if the test is met, the javadocs can be considered
'present'. Naturally there are any number of other tests...

This would be the easiest level of compliance with the edict ( all code must
be documented). Naturally, the site generated for the artifact woud provide
the higher level overivew of the code thats much needed when diving into
something...

I propose perhaps a new type of doc format could be created / employed by
the site plugin. src/site/wiki, or somehting like that. this would be
content that once processed by the plugin would be entered into a known
wikis (configurable in the pom) database which itself is
editable/annotatable.. somehow the docs might be synced with this wiki.. or
something... This would allow the structure of the wiki/documentation to
spring forth from the code and the developers where the knowledge is cached.
it would also allow coupling/interaction between the javadocs/reports and
the documentation. But once that basic structure is set up, it would easily
migrate to an interactive community driven format. the wiki would facilitate
comments. the plugin might even read the wiki db and restore the comments
into the documentation or something...

These are all just proposals, as I wonder what this sort of solution might
look like.

Josh

On 11/3/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <