Hello Aaron

this can be done setting the mirror in settings.xml

 <mirrors>
   <mirror>
     <id>proxy.central</id>
        <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>
        <name>Internal Mirror of central.</name>
        <url>http://archiva/proxy/maven_release</url>
    </mirror>
  </mirrors>

-> if you use proxy in the url then archiva will try to download
   missing artefacts from the proxied repo setup in archiva

        http://archiva/proxy/maven_release

-> if you use repository in the url then archiva will only be
   a cache provider for your already downloaded artefacts

        http://archiva/repository/maven_release

maven_release is our internal proxy repository...

I don't know if this is still like this in the current daily build
as I didn't tried it...

hth

Daniel