I have setup my app to use maven and it has a custom project directory
structure.

I had to configure the maven-war-plugin to control the output of resources,
jsp's etc... but it works.

The issue im having now is that inside the target directory, I have my WAR
file, but its contents are not the same as the directories in the target
directory.

For example, my target dir is like this:

target/PROJECT/common
target/PROJECT/webApp

but my WAR file only has the webApp dir as its root directory. I need it to
be one level up. So the root of the WAR file is the same as the PROJECT dir
of the target directory.

Does that make sense?

I thought that I could just change the webappDirectory property of the
maven-war-plugin configuration, but that causes other errors... (like
placing the web.xml file in the wrong dir)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.