Hmmm, ok. Well I can tell you that I am not allowed to re-structure the
directory structure of my project. And it doesnt follow the standard Maven
structure.

Here is a snippet of the POM:

<project    xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd";>

        <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
        <groupId>au.com.sensis</groupId>
        <artifactId>WITOL</artifactId>
        <packaging>war</packaging>
        <version>109</version>
        <name>Work Item Tracking OnLine</name>

        <!--Setup Custom Layout-->
        <build>
                <sourceDirectory>webApp/WEB-INF/src</sourceDirectory>
                <plugins>
                        <plugin>
                        <version>2.0.2</version>
                        <configuration>
                                <!--
                                        Defines the location of the web.xml,
because its not in the
default /WEB-INF/web.xml location,
                                        we need to tell Maven where it is,
relative to the POM file.
                                 -->
                                <webXml>webApp/WEB-INF/web.xml</webXml>

                                <!--
                                        Defines where the webApp directory is
going to be created on
output. This location will be
                                        similar to: /target/WITOL-109/webApp
                                 -->

<webappDirectory>${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}/webApp</webappDirectory>

                                        <!--
                                                List of src files to exclude
from the war file
                                         -->

<warSourceExcludes>webApp/WEB-INF/src/**/*.java</warSourceExcludes>

                                <webResources>
                                        <!-- Including required top level
webApp directory resources -->
                                <resource>

<directory>webApp</directory>
                                                        <includes>

<include>*/**/*.jsp</include>

<include>images/**</include>

<include>javascript/**</include>

<include>styles/**</include>

<include>stylesheets/**</include>
                                                        <include>*</include>
                                                        </includes>
                                                </resource>

                                                <!-- Including required WEB-INF
directory resources -->
                                                <resource>

<directory>webApp/WEB-INF</directory>
                                                        <!-- All required
WEB-INF folders and files to be defined here -->
                                                        <includes>

<include>*.xml</include>

<include>*.dtd</include>

<include>lib/*.jar</include>

<include>config/**</include>

<include>tags/**</include>
                                                     </includes>
                                                     <!-- Target directory for
output relative to webappDirectory -->

<targetPath>WEB-INF</targetPath>
                                                </resource>

                                                <!--
                                                        Including required top
level "common" directory files . This includes
                                                        all config and xml
files for workflows, etc...
                                                -->
                                                <resource>

<directory>common</directory>
                                                        <includes>
                                                                <!-- Add in any
extra configuration directories or files here -->

<include>config/**</include>

<include>emailTemplates/**</include>

<include>lib/**</include>
                                                        </includes>
                                                        <!-- Target directory
for output relative to webappDirectory -->

<targetPath>../common</targetPath>
                                                </resource>

                                                <!--
                                                        Classpath dependant
resources
                                                -->
                                                <resource>

<directory>webApp/WEB-INF/classes</directory>

                                                        <!-- Target directory
for output relative to webappDirectory -->

<targetPath>WEB-INF/classes</targetPath>
                                                </resource>
                                </webResources>
                        </configuration>
                        </plugin>

                        <!--
                                By default Maven 2 doesnt allow for multiple
sourceDirectory
configurations, so this plug-in
                                fixed that. If any other source directories are
created, just add them
to the <sources> element,
                                relative to the root directory of the POM.
                        -->
                <plugin>
                                <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>

<artifactId>build-helper-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                                <executions>
                                        <execution>
                                                <id>add-source</id>
                                                <phase>generate-sources</phase>