You could solve your "first run of Maven every day is slow" issue by
creating a cron job to run "mvn depedency:go-offline" on your
project(s) at 6am every day.

Right now, having multiple threads of Maven running at the same time
using the same local repo cache is a bad idea. A few new
implementations have been discussed on dev@ and I imagine we'll see
some changes there at some point.

Wayne