amit kumar schrieb:
Hi,
The reason for I thinking about not having version component in the
<dependency> tag might result in a better version control in terms of
same version being used across the different modules of the project.
Though not very sure if I am genuine enough when I think that.
As Brian said you can use the dependencyManagment section for this. You define the version in the toplevel pom and all sub poms inherit the version. I would also lock down the versions of the plugins in the pluginManagement section (just my two cents).

And as Wayne pointed
out , is it a good thing to think about?
Wayne is right, don't do it! Your build will not be reproducable. If you build your project today, version 1.1.1 (?) of commons-logging will be used. If you checkout the same code in one year there will be a newer version of commons-logging and if they have changed interfaces in the meantime it is possible that your code will not even compile.

michael