I'm sort of in the same boat, but for different reasons. The maven version
is considered to be part of the configuration for each project, so projects
are tied to whatever version of Maven was used at release time.  Upgrades
are considered to be changes to the build environment, which are out of
scope in certain projects (small patch releases, for example). We play it
safe in these cases because changes to Maven versions can cause
build-related regressions.

We also use Continuum as our CI environment, and Continuum is tied to
whatever Maven version the Continuum unix account uses, which means that we
are forced to use the same Maven version for all projects in
Continuum. Upgrading the maven that Continuum uses forces all projects to
upgrade Maven versions.  Until I can figure out a way to get Continuum to
run with different Maven versions, we're stuck with the current one.  Either
that, or I get the entire development team to upgrade simultaneously to a
new Maven version.  (Which might not really be such a big deal, IMO.)

We're currently stuck on 2.0.4 but are starting to plan to upgrade to 2.0.9.
2.1 is not even on the radar yet.

Ken