On 22-Mar-08, at 3:23 PM, Trenton Adams wrote:
Yes, it definitely is simpler in some ways, but ends up being more complex, and less intuitive in many other ways. Kind of like a Mac in comparison to Windows. Mac is so dumbed down it becomes difficult to use to get the job done, in many other ways. I found ant a lot easier in many ways. The learning curve for ant was extremely minimal. I suppose I have to use maven, just for it's dependency management, but I sure don't like the structure it uses. :(

It's not more complex as the premise is that composition trumps a big globular build. It is intentional and in the long run will prove far more useful. Based on feedback from hundreds of users over the years this has been the overwhelming opinion. We enforce this architectural integrity from the get go.

So, how do I go about doing it then, with multiple projects? Do I have two copies of everything? Do I make one module depend on the other, so that every time I want to deploy, I have to either install the dependency JAR into the local repository, or a remote one, so that the webapp has access to it? i.e. If I update the one project, that has the class files and such, how is the webapp project going to know about it?

It kind of upsets me, because a couple years ago, I specifically combined two projects that were really one project, because ant has the ability to make different jars and such. I did it because it was "simpler", and now maven is making it more complex. :( Okay, I'm done pouting. :P I'll have to see if it's worth it.