Maybe i missed the point, or you did.

The usual behaviour is to always have a SNAPSHOT version in your SCM
e.g. <version>1.4-SNAPSHOT</version>

If you make a build, you simply use the maven-release-plugin

$>mvn release:prepare
this will
.) ask you the release-version which will default to 1.4 and the next-version
which defaults to 1.5-SNAPSHOT
.) does some usefull checks
.) checkin pom with the 1.4 into SCM and tag the project
.) set the next version in the pom to 1.5-SNAPSHOT or whatever you provided in
step 1

after this, do a
$>mvn release:perform
to build the project with the freshly tagged build version

So there is usually no need to set versions in the pom manually.

LieGrü,
strub