Niranjan,

The maven release plugin allows performing a dry run of the prepare goal [1].

mvn release:prepare -DdryRun=true

The dry run performs all the local file changes but without executing any SCM
operations (commits and tagging).

To revert the file changes from the dry run you can also use the clean goal:

mvn release:clean

Andreas

[1]  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/usage.html