The general concept with Maven would be that you should divide your
code up into "modules" along whatever lines that make sense to you (1
module per pkg may be reasonable for your specific implementation, I
suppose).

Then you set up dependencies between the modules via each one's
pom.xml file, and perhaps establish a "parent" which encompasses all
modules. This would be set up like:

parent/pom.xml
parent/pkg1/pom.xml
parent/pkg1/src/main/java/com/abc/xyz/pkg1
parent/pkg2/pom.xml
parent/pkg1/src/main/java/com/abc/xyz/pkg2
parent/pkg3/pom.xml
parent/pkg1/src/main/java/com/abc/xyz/pkg3
parent/pkg4/pom.xml
parent/pkg1/src/main/java/com/abc/xyz/pkg4

So you would have probably 5 pom.xml files if you implemented this.

You should do some reading (Better Builds With Maven etc) and look at
sample projects (many open-source projects use Maven, and you can
browse their code repositories to see how things are laid out and
check out their pom.xml files) to see how this might apply to your
specific situation.

Wayne