From: Merv Green [mailto:paradeofh...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 2:14 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Maven for the internet afraid

I need to clarify my question.

The security people at my company certainly want the finest-grained
control possible over artifacts, that is, an ask-first model where they
approve each individually. I don't question that we can force Maven into
this mindset, but whether we can do so without significantly hindering
its usefulness.

For us, a reactive approach like what Nexus's procurement mechanism
assists with will inevitably turn artifact approval into an agonizing
bureaucratic process at exactly the wrong times for developers. To
ensure that relatively arcane corners of dependency resolution do not
hamstring them in the midst of coding frenzies, I need a big-bang
approach to front-load the repository. Basically, how can I minimize the
pain when someone tries to use an already approved artifact in an
unanticipated configuration?

Incidentally, I have been happily experimenting with Nexus for a little
while now. Good work.