I have to agree with Brian: letting developers use the proxy repo, but
CI/Releases the procured repo (which pulls its content from same proxy
repo that devs uses, but "bureaucratic" rules are applied). This IS a
supported scenario.

But, as with many things in our lives, you can play "Unnatural Acts"
(sic!) with Nexus too...

You could even procure a procured repository ("waterfall" procurement? ;)

Set up "central" repo as proxy for central.
Set up a procured-light repo, as procured for devs (with "light" rule
management applied) using central as target.
Set up a "devs" group and put procured-devs repo into it (and possibly
any other "secure" reposes)
Set up a procured-strong repo, as procured for CI/Release (with
"bureaucratic" rule management applied) using "devs" group as target.
...and so on.

That's it. But it would require a lot of beers to explain me why would
you do it :)

Thanks for appreciating Nexus!
~t~

[1] fav TV series, followed by cultic Mighty Boosh