Do make your first Maven project a conversion. You will likely fail or be extremely unhappy. I have seen this a hundred times now and trying to wedge Maven into what you currently have is categorically not a good idea.

Find a new, preferably small, project where you can try out Maven and understand fully what it does before you attempt to convert a project.