The one big concern I have is your plan of starting with eclipse and the
m2eclipse plugin.  It's not that I'm old school and prefer the command line but
I find that the m2eclipse plugin does a lot of automagic stuff and you may not
realize when things are changing under you because of what the plugin is doing.

Once you have your project working from the command line, then commit it to
svn, then in eclipse check it out from svn as a maven project.

The other thing is, and this may be an urban legend, that I think it's better
to not have the sub modules nested in the parent module's directory.  Make them
parallel; siblings.  This means using ../ with relativePath when referring to
the parent's pom:

   <parent>
       <artifactId>project_parent</artifactId>
       <groupId>my.company.group.id</groupId>
       <version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
       <relativePath>../project_parent/pom.xml</relativePath>
   </parent>

   <artifactId>project_module1</artifactId>

   <packaging>jar</packaging>

   etc.

I think eclipse doesn't like or support nested projects.  If you use the nested
directories layout, when you import it into eclipse I think the m2eclipse does
some voodoo behind your back, rearranging things to make eclipse happy.  For me
it was a bit more transparent having the modules as parallel projects in
eclipse.

Steve Cohen wrote:
OK, after extensive discussion in earlier thread about the best way to go about Mavenizing Existing Project(s) in my, shall we say, unusual environment (see that thread for details, don't want to recapitulate them here) I have decided to try to move forward.

First I have to learn this tool. I have used maven before, but mainly in the way of building from someone else's POM. Just type maven install or some such and bingo, the world is built.

Now my goal is to have pre-existing non-Maven projects be mavenized. I am prepared to "throw the first one away". I also want to take this opportunity to start from a m2eclipse platform, so I have now installed that, even to the point of installing Ganymede because I couldn't get it to install in Europa. Although I know there is benefit to the command line tools, I'd like to start from eclipse, understanding that I can take the POM I produce and install it with command line tools.

So my first question is this:

How do I convert a non-Maven project into a Maven project?
1) Is there some way to "change natures"?
2) Create a new Maven project, place in SVN, then move stuff to the right places?