On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 5:39 AM, Brian E. Fox <bri...@reply.infinity.nu> wrote:
> Howard, You have an interesting way of motivation and over generalization:
> "Once again, Maven is screwed up beyond belief and the developer community
> response is pitifully absent" "http://twitter.com/hlship";

You are hearing my frustration with the entire Maven infrastructure
and the fact the default response of the community is always "that's
not Maven's problem; your build/plugin/approach is broken."

> First of all, one plugin does not represent the entire Maven project. Second,
> the assumption that we are all here to jump at your beck and call is
> offensive. Perhaps your approach is what earns you "pitifully absent"
> response.

Alas, just the oppopsite. It seems necessary to throw a temper tantrum
to get any attention at all. The many other people who have posted on
mailing lists and blogs about the same problem have been ignored.

> Third, it's open source and patches are welcome.

Patching Maven is a bit difficult, since often, it is not possible to:
a) Determine which plugin is the problem
b) Match a class name in a stack trace to a plugin
c) Locate the plugin's home page
d) Locate the source for the plugin
e) Determine which version of a plugin is in effect, and why (due to
transitive dependencies of plugins)
f) Understand the code, since the Maven standard is to NOT comment
code (and, on top of that, much code is generated mechanically from
XML)

So Maven encourages a pattern of forced helplessness upon its users.

Howard M. Lewis Ship