Thanks to Raphaël Piéroni the error was found: there was an extra
<directory> element in my archetype-metadata.xml.  This was not
reported at all by Maven.

You should convert:

        <fileSet filtered="true" packaged="false">
            <directory>src/test/resources</directory>
            <directory>src/test/conf</directory>
        </fileSet>

to:

        <fileSet filtered="true" packaged="false">
            <directory>src/test/resources</directory>
        </fileSet>

        <fileSet filtered="true" packaged="false">
            <directory>src/test/conf</directory>
        </fileSet>

Future versions of the archetype plugin will report the first error,
rather than ignore it leading to the second incomprhensible error (I
received).

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Barrie Treloar <baerr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Brian E. Fox <bri...@reply.infinity.nu>
> wrote:
>> Howard, You have an interesting way of motivation and over generalization:
>> "Once again, Maven is screwed up beyond belief and the developer community
>> response is pitifully absent" "http://twitter.com/hlship";
>>
>> First of all, one plugin does not represent the entire Maven project.
>> Second, the assumption that we are all here to jump at your beck and call is
>> offensive. Perhaps your approach is what earns you "pitifully absent"
>> response.
>>
>> Third, it's open source and patches are welcome.
>
> I agree with Brian.
>
> If you are having problems then invest some time into making them better.
> And write up the your learnings so others dont face the same problems
> are you are complaining of.

Howard M. Lewis Ship