>You are hearing my frustration with the entire Maven infrastructure
>and the fact the default response of the community is always "that's
>not Maven's problem; your build/plugin/approach is broken."

Again with the stereotyping and generalization. I haven't seen anyone
say anything like that yet...and if there really is a problem with the
approach, people are generally helpful in showing the preferred
approach. You've identified what appears to be a regression and if you
followed along recently, regressions are something we will give
preference to fixing.

>Alas, just the oppopsite. It seems necessary to throw a temper tantrum
>to get any attention at all.

Hey if that works for you, great. My 5 year old doesn't get too far with
that approach though.

>The many other people who have posted on
>mailing lists and blogs about the same problem have been ignored.

I checked the archives and didn't see any emails from you on a maven
list related to this problem. In fact, according to Nabble, your last
message was in Jan/2008. I know I have alerts for blogs out there and
try to respond when appropriate, but certainly I don't have the
omnipresence required to solve every problem raised on every obscure
list and blog on the internet. So your claims of requiring a temper
tantrum to get attention seem a bit unfounded imo, when it doesn't seem
like it's been raised here recently, and certainly not from you.

> Third, it's open source and patches are welcome.

>Patching Maven is a bit difficult, since often, it is not possible to:
>a) Determine which plugin is the problem

If you're running the archetype plugin, that seems obvious.

>b) Match a class name in a stack trace to a plugin
>c) Locate the plugin's home page
>d) Locate the source for the plugin

The pattern on apache is pretty obvious as well, but hey we control
everyone else's plugins and source out there so I guess that's our fault
too.

>f) Understand the code, since the Maven standard is to NOT comment
>code (and, on top of that, much code is generated mechanically from
>XML)

Again unproductive generalizations. I don't think this is true of my own
code and certainly wouldn't bash anyone else's code that they donated to
the project. If I don't like it, I'm free to not use it or patch it as
needed.