> 4. We do not purge the local repo before a build (shouldn't have to).

This is the only thing I disagree with. There are scenarios where you do
have to do it and it isn't obvious.

> IMHO, muti-module builds shouldn't even try to download
> module artifacts for the build because by definition if your
> doing an install (or more) you are creating these...

Not necessarily. You could build one module of a large multi-module
project and if that project has a dependency on another module, it would
need to download it. This can be a very valuable way to save dev build
time.

I agree though that for a CI build, you want to build everything and
nothing should be downloaded. I didn't think anything was ;-).

Perhaps the meta data of your snapshops in your central repo is
corrupted and maven thinks that these snapshots are always newer than
the ones built in your local.