So how then does one know when they have to purge the local repository?  And
if it's important why isn't it done by default?  Having rules where you
sometimes need to and sometimes don't is really hard to live with.  Perhaps
you can clarify the rules?  I would hate to tell the developers well add
'this' if you get 'that' error, etc.

If your building just one module of a large multi-module build I agree that
OTHER modules not being built should be downloaded and used in the build.
However, I'm saying that for the set of modules that I am building none
should be downloaded.

Yes, maven does download modules because that is the workaround I used to
'fix' the build.  Since maven refused to build with the code in the module,
when doing the multi-module build, I manually built and deployed the needed
artifact and then maven saw it and used it in the build!

Yeah, I should check the central repo to see if something is wrong there.
This would explain what I am observing.

-Dave